Springfield Estates Elementary School opened its doors on March 10, 1958, welcoming 239 students and eight teachers. Exactly three years later, the Fairfax County Public Schools Bulletin recorded that student enrollment had grown to 583 students educated by a staff of 19 teachers. A ten room expansion was added to our school in 1968, and an additional new wing was added in 2013. In 2017, the entire school underwent a renovation, resulting in a new library, art rooms, office space and a revamped cafeteria.
Today the school serves a diverse population of more than 850 students with programs such as English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Family and Early Childhood Education program (FECEP), and an Advanced Academic Center. We use an inclusive practices service delivery model for special education students, and provide exciting opportunities for problem-solving and using critical thinking skills for all students through our Strategies Lab. A strong character education program and school-wide morning meetings support the development of positive and responsible behavior.
All classrooms are equipped with SmartBoards and students use laptop computers frequently, if not daily. Our new wing houses a computer lab which allows us to provide hands-on computer skill training as well as opportunities for students to use technology in their academic work.
School activities such as Reading Buddies, Math Olympiad, Peer Mediation, MentorWorks, Family Nights and various cultural events promote student involvement in learning. Dedicated teachers and parents sponsor fun after-school activities such as Chess Club, Odyssey of the Mind, Electronics Club and GEMS that challenge students to develop creative, critical, and strategic thinking skills. An active PTA and dedicated volunteers are valued partners in providing a quality education for all students.
School colors: Blue and gold, signifying the importance of individual achievement and the Golden Rule. We show our school spirit through a variety of activities initiated by our SCA representatives and officers.
We maintain a strong and collaborative partnership with our parents and PTA. Also our community provides resources and support for our program and our students.
Design & Construction
Springfield Estates Elementary School was originally designed by the architecture firm of Willgoes and Chase of Alexandria in 1956. The bidding process for our school was unusual because in October 1956, when the Fairfax County School Board advertised for bids, the neighborhood around the Springfield Estates school site was still largely undeveloped. This led to problems as construction of our school neared completion because the developer still hadn’t built, as promised, the neighborhood streets around our school or installed the water or sewer lines to our building. The School Board responded by purchasing additional land on which they constructed a gravel driveway and ran underground utility lines to connect the school to the county water and sewer system.
Springfield Estates Elementary School originally had 20 classrooms and was built by the Reid Construction Company of Alexandria for $499,916. When Springfield Estates first opened, 255 students were enrolled in grades one through seven. The students had previously been housed in classrooms at Garfield and Lynbrook elementary schools, and transferred to Springfield Estates, along with their respective teachers, in March 1958. Our first principal was Charles C. Goff. Our school driveway, Charles C. Goff Drive, was officially named in his honor at a ceremony in December 1978. The street was named as a farewell gift to Goff, who retired in January 1979.
What's in a Name?
Learn about the origin of our school's name in this video produced for Fairfax County Public Schools’ cable television channel Red Apple 21.